Saturday, April 19, 2014

Life Changes

My good friend retired this week. I hired her thirteen years ago when my grandson was just a baby. We've shared good and bad times.


We were sharing an office on 9-11 from the moment we first realized something might be wrong until the moment we realized something was very wrong. Then we prayed together.


We've celebrated weddings, retirements, anniversaries, and funerals together. We've gone to dinner and movies.


We still plan to get together but it won't be the same as being in the same office 8:30 - 5, five days a week. I won't be able to turn to her in a moment of laughter, sadness, anger, or any other reason I would want to speak to her on the spur of the moment.


Life is full of changes and retirement is one of the happier ones. She was as excited as if it was Christmas. She's looking forward to this new chapter of her life. I'm jealous that she can sleep in while I have to get up early and trudge to the day job five days a week for another twenty years - maybe thirty.


Our stories are all about life's happy and sad moments, our changes. If they weren't, they'd be pretty boring. Today, I could use some boring but that would be selfish. I'm happy for my friend. I wish her all the best. Someday, I hope, I'll be able to retire from the day job and concentrate full time on my books and my family and friends.


Happy Saturday!
Ashley

No comments:

Website Content and Copy: Ashley Ladd, 2008.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.